Monday, March 08, 2010

The easiest 10 bucks you'll ever make

So a buddy of mine, Justin, found this website that has a training plan that supposedly works you towards being able to do 100 pushups in a row in six weeks. He is taking bets on whether or not we think that we can do it, having 10 dollars for and 10 dollars against.

Most of my friends (also some of the more rational and bet savvy people I know) are adamant that he CAN'T do it (and thus bet $10 against him). He (a fairly driven and inshape person) is adamant that he CAN do it. He has a contract and bet list outside of his room. We had a party last weekend and somehow he convinced a ton of people to bet on him for this challenge.

The Stakes: He has six weeks (As of last week) to train and do the pushups in front of no fewer than two people. His legs can never touch the ground and can only rest in the top position of the pushup. If he fails on one attempt, he has 24 hours to reattempt to complete the feat. If he fails, the bettors on the right side of the line get the spoils.

I am slightly torn on which way to bet. On one hand, he can currently do at least 25 pushups in a row. To do 100 in a row, it would have to be a 400% increase in pushup capacity over six weeks. This seems like a lot, but it may be analogous to increasing the amount that you can run from 1 mile to 4 miles over 6 weeks. That is very doable.

On the other hand, pushups are really hard. I workout fairly often, and I'll sometimes actually do a 100 pushup challenge at the end of the week. The first time I did it, it took me 10 minutes and 30 seconds (with stoppage). The last time I've done it, it took me 7 minutes to do them (with stoppage). As Josh says, "If Vanish can't do it, Justin can't do it. Thats my reasoning." While I appreciate the sentiment, I still concede that Justin may be in better shape than I am. That fact aside, doing pushups is again, really hard (harder than running). I think that it will take more than just three workouts a week for six weeks (18 workouts) to be able to do 100 pushups straight.

The Verdict: I don't think he can do it, even if he does stay disciplined and do all of the workouts. Its just not enough work to build up to 100 pushups.

What do you think? Do you think he can do it? Let me know!


Comments:
Money is supremely motivating. I have a (rich) friend who entered a friendly competition with 5 other (rich) friends to see who could lose the most weight in 2 months. Winner take all: $2500. My buddy then hired a trainer and went nuts - losing 40 pounds and taking the cake (rich) handily.

Your friend might enter the world of my (rich) friend soon.

Note: the more people bet he can do it, the less motivating it is for him to do it - that's obvious.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]