Monday, December 28, 2009

What I've Learned: 2009

Hey. So I was going to do a "best of the decade" type post here, but I decided to do a "What I've Learned" segment covering the whole year in the Esquire model (example). Here goes nothing.

I realized that I was only 12 when the decade started. Plus I have terrible memory, so any "best of" would be terrible. Thats the real reason for this post.

This post was going to be really morbid. Like, deep and stuff. Thats the mood I was in after I read this . I think stuff like that has its place. But not on a 21 year old's blog.

I try not to put my phone on vibrate anymore. For a while I just left it on vibrate because of class and stuff, but last semester I was working all the time and nobody cared so I put it on this awesome techno ringtone. When my phone was on vibrate, I could tell it was in pocket. Now that its on ringtone mode I can't ever find it. I feel old.

Being injured doesn't get chicks. Trust me.

Yoga was the best decision I've made all year. I took yoga as a gym class with some of my friends this semester, and I can almost touch my toes now. I'm better at breathing too, if thats a skill you can boast.

Although our yoga teacher scared us. She said you can actually become less flexible than you were before the yoga if you stopped practicing it. I'm not sure if thats her way of getting us to sign up for the class again next semester, but I'm not falling for it.

People appreciate it when you remember their names. Too bad I have terrible memory. I read somewhere that you need to give someone an emotional hug when you meet them. Thats how you make friends. I'm not sure how I feel about that.

I went to a lot of concerts this year. I barely remember any of them. They were all fantastic though.

Sleep is underrated. So is exercise. And so is patience.

Traditions were a big theme for me this year. I maintain that they are really important.

Resolutions are in that gray area between getting things done and being a cop-out. Its a great way of becoming goal oriented, but you push it off until the new year.

I am really proud of the other blog that I participate in, catchysongoftheday. We're spreading around good music. Although I tried making a twitter for it, nobody follows it. It sucks

On Esquire, they always end these things really abruptly with a deep or witty quote. My favorite quote, from Inherit the Wind is "An idea is a greater monument than a cathedral." It really is my favorite quote. Its on my facebook!

Comments:
I didn't know you read Esquire. Do yourself a favor and get a subscription, and keep it. I've had mine since I was your age, seriously.

And as for my favorite What I've Learned, well that comes from Jimmy Dean, the sausage king: "you've got to try your luck at least once a day, because you might be walking around lucky all day and not even know it."
 
When we return for spring semester, I'm expecting an emotional hug to make our friendship complete.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]